Professional Standards & Advisory Opinions
- Clinical Competencies for IBCLCs
- Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs
- Scope of Practice for IBCLCs
- Blueprint for Action on Breastfeeding in Europe (full version)
- Blueprint for Action on Breastfeeding in Europe (short version)
- Documentation Guidelines
- Updated Advisory Opinion on Professionalism in the Social Media Age
- Advisory Opinion on Education for IBCLC Eligibility and Recertification
- Advisory Opinion on Telehealth
- Advisory Opinion on Assessment, Diagnosis, and Referral
- Advisory Opinion on Frenulotomy
Code of Professional Conduct
Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs
It is in the best interests of the profession of lactation consultants that there is a Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs to provide guidance to lactation consultants in their professional practice and conduct.
Please note that due to COVID-19 and until further notice, all Code of Professional Conduct Complaints and related case materials must be uploaded to IBLCELINK via Sharefile at https://iblce.sharefile.com/filedrop.
Please do not mail Code of Professional Conduct Complaints to the International Office in Fairfax, Virginia as the office is closed due to the pandemic and mail is delayed.
Code of Professional Conduct Complaint Form
The IBCLC Commission, like most certification boards, has a complaint process with respect to alleged violations of the Code of Professional Conduct. Any complaints must be signed and submitted to the IBCLC Commission (see form above). Before submitting a complaint, one should familiarise themselves with the Disciplinary Procedures and ensure compliance with the requirements.
IBCLCs agree to be governed by the Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs and are also governed by the Disciplinary Procedures for any violations of the Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs.
Infographic regarding the Ethics & Disciplinary process
The Disciplinary Procedures provide for public notification of public reprimand, suspension, and/or revocation.
IBCLC Detailed Content Outline, Technical Reports & Studies
Information for Initial Candidates
- Candidate Information Guide*
- Recognised Health Professions List
- Health Sciences Education Guide
- Lactation Specific Clinical Practice Calculator
- Recognised Breastfeeding Support Counsellor Organisations
- Pathway 3 Plan Guide
- IBCLC Fee Guide 2023
*Please read in conjunction with the June 2022 Updated Interim Guidance on the Use of Technology to Meet Pathways 1, 2, and 3 Clinical Practice Requirements (Reissued on June 30, 2022).
Information for Recertifying IBCLCs
Using the Online Credential Management System
- How to create an IBLCE account
- How to reset your IBLCE password
- How to apply for the IBCLC certification
- How to apply for recertification by examination
- How to apply for recertification by CERPs
Please note, all Appeals and related materials should be submitted via ShareFile here (Choose Recipient: White, A.). For specific information, please reach out to your regional office. For your protection and privacy, the Commission can not accept Ethics and Discipline or Appeals materials via email. Any Appeals materials received via email will be deleted.