Test Centre Checklist for Before Examination Day
☐ Review Examination Options & Examination Day Notice
Before you make your IBCLC examination appointment, review your options for taking the examination on the Examination Resource Centre.
⚠ It is important to review the Examination Day Notice.
☐ Schedule Your Appointment
Once you have received your Examination Authorisation Email and have determined that you are going to sit the examination at a test centre, schedule your appointment with Prometric. You will need to have your eligibility number (provided in the authorisation email) available at the time of scheduling.
- If your Examination Authorisation Email indicates that you can schedule your appointment online through the Prometric website, then we strongly encourage you to do so, as Prometric has been experiencing extended customer service phone call wait times.
☐ Check Your IDs
Ensure that you have two forms of identification on hand.
- Primary ID must be a valid, unexpired government-issued identification that includes your name, current photograph, and signature.*
- Secondary ID must have either your name and signature or your name and current photograph.
*If your primary government-issued identification contains your photograph but not your signature, your second form of identification (e.g., an employee ID card or credit card) must contain your signature to supplement your photo-bearing, government-issue ID.
The names on the IDs must match and must be the same name as the one on file with us on the day of your appointment. Name changes can be made with IBCLC Programme staff by the posted deadline.
If your name does not match what is on file on examination day, you will not be able to sit the examination and will forfeit all examination fees.
☐ Prepare to Take a Mask/Face Covering
Please note that we are continuing to require the wearing of masks by examinees while taking the IBCLC examination at testing centres. Ensure you have a mask or face covering to wear at the test centre. (Masks with wearable technology are prohibited.) If you have a breast/chestfeeding break scheduled, please also make sure that your caregiver brings a mask or face covering with them. Your breastfeeding child will not be required to wear a mask or face covering. Please note that you may also wear gloves at the test centre.
☐ Review the Guidelines for Entering a Test Centre
To ensure your safety and the safety of other test takers and test centre staff, you agree that you will not be allowed to take, and that you will not try to take, your scheduled IBCLC examination at a contracted test centre if:
- You have experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 or the flu or cold-like symptoms in the 10 days prior to your scheduled examination, plus 3 days after symptoms cease,
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 10 days prior to your scheduled examination, plus 3 days after symptoms cease,
- You have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 10 days,
- You have returned from travel from a highly infected area within the preceding 10 days.
Test Centre Checklist for Examination Day
☐ Bring Your IDs
Bring your two IDs that match your name on file with us.
☐ Bring Your Mask/Face Covering
☐ Arrive Early
Arrive at the testing centre at least 30 minutes ahead of your scheduled examination time, to allow for security procedures (ID check, etc.) and seating.
☐ Know the Test Centre Guidelines
Read Prometric’s website about the test centre guidelines being followed at the test centre for that day. Our policies do not require your biometrics (fingerprints) to be taken at the time of the examination; however, to protect the integrity of your credential, the testing vendor, much like at the airport, uses scanning with a metal detector and wanding as an added security measure.
☐ Take the IBCLC Examination!
The IBCLC is a professional credential, and examination security is important to the integrity of the credential. IBCLCs’ work impacts the health of infants and parents, and therefore verification of their knowledge is of great importance. Please carefully read the IBCLC examination administration rules:
- A visual inspection will be conducted before you start the examination as part of the security protocol.
- We recommend you do not bring any personal items into the test centre. If you do, you will be required to store all personal items in a location designated by the test centre administrator. This may include your watch and jewellery. Mobile/cell phones or other electronic devices brought to the site must be powered OFF and cannot be turned on at all during the entire length of the examination, including breaks. The test centre administrator is not responsible for candidates’ personal property.
- Candidates found in possession of electronic devices of any kind, phones, or study guides during the examination or during breaks will be immediately dismissed and their examination will not be scored.
- Only pre-approved comfort aids or pre-approved medical aids/devices are permitted into the testing room.
- Candidates who finish the examination early may leave the examination site. The test centre administrator will give specific instructions about exiting the examination area.
- Questions concerning the examination content are not permitted. Test centre administrators are not allowed to provide interpretation or clarification of examination questions and/or define words.
- Talking to or communicating in any way with another examination candidate is not permitted during the examination.
- Cheating will not be tolerated and, if discovered, will result in a candidate’s scores being cancelled or certification being revoked in accordance with policies and procedures and/or legal action against the candidate, including criminal prosecution.
- Candidates may not leave the test centre during the examination administration or breaks; leaving the test centre will result in an immediate dismissal from the examination.
- Written notes, published materials, and other testing aids are strictly prohibited during the examination and during your scheduled break.
- You will be asked to agree to all the testing vendor’s testing regulations before your examination. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in dismissal from your examination.
- If your examination is interrupted for any reason, you may attempt to resume your examination. However, if you are not able to resume your examination within a reasonable time, you will be deferred to the next examination window in fairness to all candidates and to protect the integrity of the IBCLC examination.
Updated on November 8, 2023